ʻAkaka Falls State Park
Breath Taking Akaka Falls is located on the North East side of the Island of Hawai’i. Hamakua Coast has many beautiful look out points and is one of the coastal scenic routes on the Big Island.
This is a self-guided walk through lush tropical vegetation to scenic vista points overlooking the cascading Kahuna Falls and the free-falling ‘Akaka Falls, which plunges 442 feet into a stream-eroded gorge. The 0.4-mile loop footpath requires some physical exertion. (65.4 acres)
The trail makes an easy to follow loop offering stunning viewpoints of the two waterfalls. To view ‘Akaka Falls only, take the path to the left (south) from the first junction. The waterfall view is just a short walk down the path.
Unfortunately, this trail is NOT wheelchair accessible.
End of ‘Akaka Falls Road (Highway 220), 3.6 miles southwest of Honomu.
- Mountain biking is not allowed on this trail.
- Stay on the trail.
- Pack out at least what you pack in.
- No open fires.
Vehicle gate/parking area open 8:30 am – 6 pm. Open to walk-ins between sunrise and sunset.
- $5.00 per car or $1 per person for pedestrians. No charge for Hawaii residents
Commercial PUC vehicles:
- 1-7 passenger vehicles: $10.00
- 8-25 passenger vehicles: $20.00
- 26 + passenger vehicles: $40.00